Tuesday, March 23, 2010

How igoogle has increased my connection to people and streamlined my knowledge.

I am a fan of igoogle. There are so many things you can do with it, but I am just going to tell you how I use it. We have so many sites and applications that we can use, but logging separately into all of them and viewing the information is timely and overwhelming. I am able to organize my needs on igoogle for quick view and access.

The items I use on igoogle include: Twitter, Google Calendar, Facebook, Plurk, News Feeds, Google Reader, Weather, Google docs, Gmail, Blogs, Hulu, and YouTube to name the main applications. My communication tools such as twitter allow me to make updates and follow conversation threads easily. Once you discover RSS feeds and the power of information seeking you, instead of you wasting time searching, it can become a powerful knowledge gathering feature. I recommend using Google Reader.

I also have other frequent tools that I use that can be added to igoogle, but I prefer to have them set different. I use Delicious for social bookmarking and I am an avid user of Skype. I have Delicious on my tool bar for quick access and Skype on my task bar. These locations are very convenient, so I don’t need them to take up real estate space on my igoogle page.

I recommend starting with a couple digital tools. Get familiar with one tool and as you grow with digital tools add them to your igoogle home page. This can help you feel organized and up to date with your profiles and tools.

-SJ3
Meeting our Students Needs

No comments:

Post a Comment